Dear Google Ads,
We love you.
Google Ads are a paid media team’s best friend. They are one of the most effective types of paid media, are effective for just about any industry and marketing budget, and are an easy entry point for a brand to start with paid media.
What is a Google Search Ad?
Google search ads are a type of online advertising that allows businesses to display their advertisements on Google’s search engine results pages (SERPs). When someone types a query into Google, the search engine displays a list of results that are relevant to the user’s query. Google search ads are designed to help businesses stand out in the search results and attract potential customers. Google Search Ads can show up in the text-based search results, in Maps, or in the Shopping section, but in this blog, we will focus on the Google Search text ad.
A customer might not notice just how many elements there are in the ad they see, but each element is strategically placed and has its own purpose. Google is consistently updating its ad format to become even more clear and simple for the end user, while also including the most important messaging a brand is looking to communicate. Let’s walk through the elements of a Google search ad:
- Headline: The headline of a Google search ad is the most prominent and visible part of the ad. It appears in bold at the top of the ad and should be eye-catching and attention-grabbing to encourage users to click on the ad.
- Description: The description of a Google search ad is the second most prominent element of the ad. It appears below the headline and provides a brief overview of the business or product being advertised. The description should be informative and relevant to the user’s search query to increase the chances of the ad being clicked.
- Display URL: The display URL is the web address of the website that the ad is promoting. It appears in the ad and should be easy to read and understand.
- Call-to-action (CTA): A call-to-action is a phrase or button that encourages the user to take a specific action, such as “Learn More” or “Sign Up.” The CTA should be clear and compelling to encourage users to click on the ad.
- Ad extensions: Ad extensions are additional pieces of information or functionality that can be added to a Google search ad to provide more information about the business or product being advertised. Examples of ad extensions include location, phone numbers, and links to specific pages on the website.
- Keywords: Keywords are the terms or phrases that users type into Google’s search engine to find what they’re looking for. Businesses can choose specific keywords to target in their Google search ads to ensure that their ads are displayed to users who are searching for relevant products or services.
We have reviewed all of the elements of the google ad that show up to the audience, but that is only scratching the surface of everything that goes into the backend of creating the ad. Google search ads are a powerful tool for businesses to reach potential customers and drive traffic to their websites. By understanding the key elements of a Google search ad, businesses can create effective and engaging ads that are more likely to be clicked and convert into sales.
Google Ads Manager provides an intuitive dashboard that helps you easily navigate your ads groups, campaigns, spend, and measure performance. Before creating and launching ads, developing the right paid media strategy is crucial to the success of your campaigns. We would recommend working with a paid media specialist to guide you through the audience and keyword research, setting an affordable and effective budget, and defining the right targeting strategy. At BuzzShift, we can help with as much or as little as you’re comfortable with! If you’re thinking about launching Google Ads for your brand, let’s chat!
BuzzShift is a digital growth strategy agency with a focus on mid-market, scaling, purpose-driven DTC Brands. By combining the ideologies of branding, performance marketing, and retention agency, we are able to create memorable experiences with measurable results, and build long-term success for our clients with scalable, sustainable growth. Learn more about BuzzShift.